- Start: Lory State Park, Fort Collins, CO.
- Distance: 13.1 miles with close to 2,000 feet of vertical gain and descent. Kids: 1 mile on gently rolling singletrack.
- Terrain: Dirt, hills, rocks
- Fauna: Black Abert squirrels, black bears, other more colorful animals
- Mode of Transportation: Foot
- Date: Saturday September 8, 2018, 7:00am
The Black Squirrel Trail Half Marathon will take place on the wonderful trails of Lory State Park to the northwest of Fort Collins, CO.
The trail half marathon course offers a tour of the outer boundaries of Lory State Park, providing breathtaking views to the east of Horsetooth Reservoir, Fort Collins and the Great Plains; and to the West of the awe-inspiring Rocky Mountain swell.
The race covers a variety of terrain, with a mix of moderately technical and non-technical trails. After a mile of dirt roads, the trail ascends a little under four miles and 1,500 feet to the apex of the course at 7,000 feet on Lory’s west ridge. The views are well worth the climb. A rapid and somewhat technical descent follows, leaving three and a half miles of beautiful, gently rolling hardpacked singletrack into the finish. Finishers can start chowing down at the post-race pancake breakfast and kick back and enjoy the post-race party.
We will also have a fun and free kids trail race on a 1 mile loop beginning and ending from the start/finish area of the main race.
Our aim is to offer a trail running experience that is challenging, yet accessible to all.