Never Summer 100km & COVID-19

We are continuing to evaluate the COVID-19 situation and how it will affect plans for the Never Summer 100km (NS100) on July 25/26. You likely have seen announcements from races scheduled for dates before NS100 that plan to go ahead, as well as from races scheduled for dates after NS100 that have already been cancelled. Public health recommendations in Colorado and Jackson County continue to evolve as more data becomes available, and we believe there is still time to wait and see how guidance evolves before we make final decisions on the status of the 2020 race.

As regular race participants ourselves, we are committed to delivering a race if we believe it can be done safely and in accordance with guidance from state and county public health officials. Based on recent discussions with our main permitting partner at State Forest State Park, we are still hoping and planning to hold a version of NS100 on its scheduled date. We will re-evaluate our plans and decision timelines based on guidance issued after the May 27th expiration of the current ‘Safer at Home’ phase of Colorado’s re-opening plan, and issue further communication and decision timelines by the week of June 1. 
Mini Update 6/5: One of our meetings yesterday had to be rescheduled, and so our next full update will be next week. Our optimism is growing, though, and thank you all for your patience.

If the race does go forward, you will enjoy the usual beautiful course – but every other aspect of the race can and will likely have significant changes.

If the race does not proceed on July 25-26, current entrants will have the option to:

  • Receive 100% transfer credit toward Never Summer 2021
  • Receive 75% transfer credit toward any of our other events
  • Run the race virtually
    • Both transfer credit options are available starting today, out of respect for runners who wish to withdraw before our own final decision is made. If you would like to request a transfer, please contact: registration@gnarrunners.com

If public health recommendations are such that the race cannot proceed on its original date, we anticipate the safe weather window to end before the pandemic threat lessens enough for an event of our size, so postponement will not be an option.

If Never Summer does take place in July, it will likely include:

  • Wave Starts
  • Strict limitations and/or cancellations of pre- and post-race activities
  • Limitations on crews and pacers
  • Drop bag service for every possible aid station
  • Individual servings at aid stations (no communal bowls/plates)
  • Gloves for every volunteer and hand sanitizer on every table
    And other steps as appropriate – your recommendations are welcome!

As ultrarunners ourselves, we are doing our best to strike a balance between doing right by you and ensuring we have the capacity to continue Never Summer next year and beyond. Please contact us any time with questions.

Brad Bishop & Nick Clark
Gnar Runners

P.S. Wash your hands

Share

7 thoughts on “Never Summer 100km & COVID-19

    • “We will re-evaluate our plans and decision timelines based on guidance issued after the May 27th expiration of the current ‘Safer at Home’ phase of Colorado’s re-opening plan, and issue further communication and decision timelines by the week of June 1.”

      We have a meeting set up with State Forest State Park this coming Thursday, and hope to have an update shortly after.

  1. The online Protocol & Waivers site is closed. I’m hoping to pace a friend but won’t be able to make it up to the race until mid-morning Saturday. Is there anything I can sign online today or tomorrow morning to still be able to pace?

  2. Yes, the online waiver is closed.
    Yes, you can sign the waiver on-site. If you arrive after packet pickup, stop by the Timing Tent at the finish.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *