Dear Blue Sky Marathon Runner
The seventh running of the Blue Sky Marathon is almost here. We hope your training has gone well!
All information relevant to the event is available from the race website here, but we would like to bring your attention to a few key points:
- The weather forecast for Sunday is showing a high of 75 degrees with bright sunshine. Please be aware that the last 16 miles of the course has little to no shade, so things will likely feel pretty toasty from late morning onwards. Please carry ample water, especially on the out and back section from Indian Summer South through the Devils Backbone trails (miles 15 – 20).
- By popular demand, we are keeping the slight course re-route from last year in the early Horsetooth miles: http://www.blueskymarathon.com/course-information/
- An optional packet pickup will be available on Saturday from 4pm to 7pm at Colorado Physical Therapy Specialists. We will be handing out bibs on race morning to ensure we have an accurate list of starters, so the COLPTS pick-up will be for T’s and race bags only. Colorado Physical Therapy Specialists is located at: 115 E Harmony Rd., Ste. 160, Fort Collins, CO 80525
- Packet and bib pick up will be available on race morning at the Blue Sky trailhead from 5:30am to 6:45am. Please give yourself enough time to pick up your stuff and get to and from your car, if necessary. Limited parking is available at the trailhead for carpools of two or more runners (first come, first serve) and additional parking will be at the Marina off Shoreline Drive, a half mile from the start. A map is available on the race day info page.
- We will also have a start/finish gear drop area, if you want to avoid heading back to your car before the race starts – or think you might need or want to drop something when coming back through at mile 8 after the Horsetooth loop. Bags should be labeled (we’ll have duct tape and sharpies at the start). There are no other drop bag locations on course.
- Late registration (cash & check only) will be available on Saturday at packet pick up and on race morning.
- The race will start promptly at 7:00am.
- Aid stations will be checking bib numbers. Please make sure your bib is visible from the front. It would also be helpful if you could call out your number as you cruise through.
- This is a cup-less race. We ask that all runners carry a water bottle or hydration pack for refills at the aid stations.
- The four aid stations (six total, as the two Indian Summer aid stations are visited twice) will have water, Tailwind sports drink & S-Cap electrolyte capsules, in addition to assorted snacks and fruit.
- The South Hunter turnaround is a checkpoint only – no water or aid. A volunteer will be marking bibs as people come through to make sure the loop is completed.
- As a courtesy to other runners on the trail (and per the terms of our insurance policy), we ask that you not wear headphones.
- Please pocket any trash and dispose of it at aid stations or at the start/finish.
- Trails are open to the public. Watch for bikers and yield to horses.
- We have a great BBQ planned with beef burgers, black bean burgers, vegan salads, cookies, chips, and soft drinks. If you want a beer post-race, please note that park rules allow 3.2 in cans only. We may have a few of those stashed if you forget to bring your own and want one.
- Additional meals can be purchased at the BBQ for family and friends for a $10 donation to Animal House Rescue, one of the race beneficiaries.
- In addition to finisher awards, we have overall and age group awards (Open: under 40, outside top three; Masters: 40 and older, outside top three; Grandmasters: 50+). We have gift cards to Runners Roost Colorado for award winners and Altra running shoes for the overall winners.
Thank you to Colorado Physical Specialists, Justin Liddle DMD, Altra Running, Fort Collins Running Club, and Countryside Vetfor their support in helping us make this event possible.
Thank you also to all our wonderful product and service sponsors: Runners Roost, Succeed, Erin Bibeau Photography, Tailwind Nutrition, Whole Foods, Salus Natural Body Care, Great Harvest Bread, and Kristel Liddle LMT.
If you have questions that are not answered here on the website, then please email. We will do our level best to respond in a timely manner.
We sincerely look forward to seeing you all on Sunday morning!
Nick Clark & Pete Stevenson
Gnar Runners, LLC